Purpose and Scope
At Planet Fitness, we believe acting ethically and responsibly is not only the right thing to do, but also the right way to do business. Planet Fitness has developed a Global Vendor Code of Conduct (“Vendor Code”) to clarify our global expectations in the areas of business integrity, labor practices, associate health and safety, and environmental management. Planet Fitness’ Vendor Code is intended to complement the company’s other policies and standards referenced therein. Any vendor, contractor, consultant, agent or third party supplier (collectively “Vendor”) that directly or indirectly provides goods and services to Planet Fitness is expected to follow the Vendor Code.
Business Conduct Principles
Planet Fitness expects its vendors to conduct business responsibly, with integrity, honesty, and transparency, and to adhere to the following principles:
- Maintain awareness and comply with all applicable laws and regulations of the countries of their operations.
- Compete fairly for Planet Fitness’ business.
Planet Fitness is committed to conducting business legally and ethically within the framework of a free enterprise system. Corrupt arrangements with customers, vendors, government officials, franchisees or other third parties are strictly prohibited. “Corruption” generally refers to obtaining, or attempting to obtain, a personal benefit or business advantage through improper or illegal means, including without limitation bribes and/or kickbacks.
- Encourage a diverse workforce and provide a workplace free from discrimination, harassment or any other form of abuse.
Planet Fitness vendors shall create a work environment in which employees and business partners feel valued and respected for their contributions. Harassment, including unwelcome verbal, visual, physical, or other conduct of any kind that creates an intimidating, offensive or hostile work environment will not be tolerated. Employment decisions must be based on qualifications, skills, performance, and experience.
- Treat employees fairly, including with respect to wages, working hours and benefits.
Planet Fitness vendors shall comply with all applicable legal and regulatory requirements and will generally apply sound employee relations practices. Working hours, wages, benefits will be consistent with laws and industry standards, including those pertaining to minimum wages, overtime, other elements of compensation, and legally mandated benefits.
- Prohibit all forms of forced or compulsory labor
Planet Fitness vendors shall maintain and promote fundamental human rights. Employment decisions will be based on free choice and there may be no coerced or prison labor, and no use of physical punishment or threats of violence or other forms of physical, sexual, psychological or verbal abuse as a method of discipline or control.
- Prohibit use of child labor.
Vendors shall adhere to the minimum employment age limit defined by national law or regulation, and comply with relevant International Labor Organization (ILO) standards. In no instance shall a vendor permit children to perform work that exposes them to undue physical risks that can harm physical, mental, or emotional development or improperly interfere with their schooling needs.
- Respect employees’ legal rights to freedom of association and collective bargaining.
Consistent with applicable law, Planet Fitness vendors shall respect employees’ rights to join or refrain from joining associations and worker organizations.
- Provide safe and healthy working conditions.
Planet Fitness vendors shall proactively manage health and safety risks to provide an incident-free environment where occupational injuries and illnesses are prevented. Vendors must implement management systems and controls that identify hazards and assess and control risk related to their specific industry. Also, vendors shall provide potable drinking water and adequate restrooms; fire exits and essential fire safety equipment; emergency aid kits and access to emergency response including environmental, fire and medical.
- Carry out operations with care for the environment and comply with all applicable environmental laws and regulations.
The potential environmental impacts of daily business decision-making processes should be considered along with opportunities for conservation of natural resources, recycling, source reduction and pollution control to ensure cleaner air and water and to reduce landfill wastes.
- Maintain accurate financial books and business records in accordance with all applicable legal and regulatory requirements and accepted accounting practices.
- Deliver products and services meeting applicable quality and safety standards.
Planet Fitness is committed to providing high quality and safe products. Vendors involved in any aspect of developing, handling, packaging or storing our products are expected to:
- Know and comply with the product quality standards, policies, specifications, and procedures that apply to the products produced at your location
- Follow and adhere to good manufacturing practices and testing protocols
- Comply with all applicable federal, state, and local safety laws and regulations
- Report issues immediately to Planet Fitness that could negatively affect the quality or public perception of a Planet Fitness product
- Compliance with this Vendor Code is a required condition of doing business with Planet Fitness. Vendor should support compliance by establishing appropriate management processes and cooperating with compliance audits as required by Planet Fitness.
- Observe Planet Fitness’ policies regarding gifts and entertainment and conflicts of interest when dealing with Planet Fitness employees and franchisees.
Unless there is prior written approval from Planet Fitness’ CEO, CFO or CAO, Planet Fitness vendors are prohibited from providing or offering gifts, monetary equivalents, objects of value, entertainment or preferential treatment – directly or indirectly – of value greater than $50 USD to Planet Fitness employees or franchisees that could inappropriately influence Planet Fitness’ business decisions or gain an unfair advantage. Indirect gifts include gifts to family members or a favorite charity.
Likewise, Planet Fitness employees or franchisees may not offer excessive gifts or entertainment to others whose business the company may be seeking. Planet Fitness employees and franchisees may accept business-related meals, entertainment, token gifts or favors only when the value involved is nominal and clearly will not place employees or franchisees under any real or perceived obligation to the donor.
- All Vendors shall comply with all guidelines issued by Planet Fitness relating to access to Planet Fitness facilities, offices, franchisees and employees. No Vendor shall market, directly or indirectly, any product or service to Planet Fitness employees or franchisees without express permission from the Planet Fitness corporate Vendor Management Department.
- Report suspected violations of the Vendor Code.
Vendor’s employees or contractors may report suspected violations of this Vendor Code to the Planet Fitness Office of the General Counsel at 1-603-750-0001.